The busiest week of the year continued on Tuesday at UN Headquarters and we used our social media platforms to report on the events. Below are some highlights.
The Leaders’ Summit on Countering Violent Extremism, hosted by United States President Barack Obama on the margins of the General Assembly’s annual high-level debate, brought together representatives from more than 100 nations, more than 20 multilateral institutions, some 120 civil society groups from around the world, and partners from the private sector.
“Addressing this challenge goes to the heart of the mission of the United Nations, and it requires a unified response,” stated Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, who intends to present a comprehensive Plan of Action to Prevent Violent Extremism early next year to the General Assembly.
- With South Sudan at crossroads, Ban urges parties to reaffirm commitment to peace
- Official General Assembly website
All of today’s speeches by world leaders may be watched online
- More behind-the-scene photos of the UN social media team
- UN Webcast: Live coverage of meetings — also includes on-demand videos of past events.
- Follow @UN, @UN_Spokesperson and #UNGA on Twitter (plus more specialized and multilingual accounts).
- Who is speaking when? Check out the lists of speakers in the UN Daily Journal.