The busiest week of the year continued on Tuesday at UN Headquarters and we used our social media platforms to report on the events. Below are some highlights.
Declaring that “leadership makes the difference,” United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon urged heads of State and Government gathered in New York to “hear the call of history” and, through hard work, commitment and integrity, answer the just demands of their people for human dignity and sustainable development. He made his remarks at the opening of the annual General Assembly General Debate.
- Get recaps of all the remarks from the UN News Centre
- See who spoke on Tuesday and get links to the full remarks
- Follow #UNGA
World leaders at the United Nations today inaugurated a High-level Political Forum on Sustainable Development that aims to inject new energy into the global effort to boost development for all the world’s peoples in a manner that is sustainable for future generations.
At the annual Treaty Event, 53 treaty actions were taken by 18 States on Tuesday. Three States participated at the level of Head of State, one State at the level of Head of Government, 13 States at the ministerial level, and one State at the level of Permanent Representative. There were a total of 2 acceptances, 7 accessions, 29 signatures, and 14 ratifications.
More than 110 member states signaled their support for ending sexual violence in conflict.
- Read the full declaration here
- Press release
- Website: Stop Rape Now: UN Action Against Sexual Violence in Conflict
- See tweets via hashtag #timetoact and #endrapeinwar
At the final day of the Social Good Summit, conversations continued on the intersection between technology and social good.
General Assembly quick links
- Official General Assembly website
- UN Webcast: Live coverage of meetings — also includes on-demand videos of past events.
- Follow @UN, @UN_Spokesperson and #UNGA on Twitter (plus more specialized and multilingual accounts).
- Who is speaking when? Check out the lists of speakers in the UN Daily Journal.