What happened at the UN on Friday? Highlights here and a look ahead to Saturday
What’s informally called “UN Week” in New York City continued at UN Headquarters and we used our social media platforms to report on the events. Below are some highlights from Friday’s activities and a look ahead to Saturday.
The annual General Debate continued. See what your world leader told his or her peers here:
- Video and text of speeches given by world leaders
- Additional stories from the UN News Centre, including coverage of world leaders remarks
Additional updates about Friday’s events from the UN News Centre:
- Ban Ki-moon urges Group of 77 nations to contribute to future development agenda
- UN officials call for stronger global measures to counter nuclear terrorism
Find out what Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon discussed in his bilateral meetings with world leaders in this listing of readouts posted by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General.
Watch archived video from official meetings, side events, press conferences, stakeouts and more.
On Saturday, the General Debate continues as heads of state and government address their peers. The debate will be webcast live starting at 9 a.m. NYC time. See who’s expected to speak in the lists of speakers in the UN Daily Journal.
General Assembly quick links
- Official General Assembly website
- UN Webcast: Live coverage of meetings — also includes on-demand videos of past events.
- Follow @UN, @UN_Spokesperson and #UNGA on Twitter (plus more specialized and multilingual accounts).
- This full calendar of UN events is updated regularly.
- Who is speaking when? Check out the lists of speakers in the UN Daily Journal.
Also on Saturday will be the Global Citizen Festival – a ma
Also on Saturday will be the Global Citizen Festival in Central Park — and online — that will bring together Neil Young with Crazy Horse, Foo Fighters, The Black Keys, Band of Horses and K’Naan – to put the movement to end extreme poverty in the headlines. The project supports UNICEF USA and World Food Programme USA in addition to other causes. One of the issues featured at the event will the aim to end polio. Follow @GlobalFestival for updates.