The busiest week of the year kicked off on Monday at UN Headquarters and we used our social media platforms to report on the events. Below are some highlights.
At Monday’s High-level Meeting on the Rule of Law, world leaders and Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon reaffirmed that human rights, the rule of law and democracy are interlinked and mutually reinforcing and that they belong to the universal and indivisible core values and principles of the United Nations.
At the High-level Event on Sustainable Energy for All, the Secretary-General explained how the initiative’s success will be measured: “by children newly able to study after dark … mothers breathing healthy air … doctors caring for the sick night and day … businesses seeing new prosperity … a cleaner environment and a path that will help us to avoid the catastrophe of climate change.”
All UN Member States are encouraged to sign or ratify new treaties while in NYC. Here are Monday’s Treaty Event updates: 28 treaty actions were taken by 11 Member States resulting in a total of 9 signatures, 14 ratifications, 3 accessions, and 2 consents to be bound.
More updates from the UN News Centre:
- Building the Future We Want: UN meeting debates how to improve multilateral system for sustainable development aims
- UN officials call on countries to strengthen women’s access to justice
- Ban Ki-moon covers range of international issues in talks with world leaders at UN Headquarters
- States to press for early entry into force of treaty banning nuclear tests at UN event
Find out what Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon discussed in his bilateral meetings with world leaders in this listing of readouts posted by the Office of the Spokesperson for the Secretary-General.
Watch archived video from official meetings, side events, press conferences, stakeouts and more.
At the Social Good Summit, UN Foundation launched the Global Good Challenge, an innovative new way for individuals to help tackle some of the world’s biggest challenges while earning the chance to win once-in-a-lifetime experiences. More:
- Watch archived videos
- Updates from meet-ups and summits around the world
General Assembly quick links
- Official General Assembly website
- UN Webcast: Live coverage of meetings — also includes on-demand videos of past events.
- Follow @UN, @UN_Spokesperson and #UNGA on Twitter (plus more specialized and multilingual accounts).
- This full calendar of UN events is updated regularly.
- Who is speaking when? Check out the lists of speakers in the UN Daily Journal.